Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center is dedicated to bringing world class research and cancer care to Iowa, the Midwest, and beyond.
Not just a floor, or a building, or even confined to a single college, Holden Cancer Center coordinates all cancer-related research, education, and patient care by faculty from 41 departments and six colleges, as well as UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Children's Hospital.
About Our New Cancer Clinic
Holden Cancer Center is Iowa's only NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center and has held that designation since 2000. The NCI designation recognizes our cancer center, and its research scientists, physicians and other health care professionals, for their roles in advancing cancer research that impacts on our ability to prevent, detect and treat our patients with cancer. Where you go does matter™.
Founded in 1980, Holden Cancer Center:
- promotes interactive, high-quality cancer research
- provides high-quality health care related to the prevention, detection, and treatment of cancer
- educates cancer professionals and the citizens of Iowa about cancer
Important pieces of Holden Cancer Center patient care areas include:
- Cancer Clinic, located on the first and second levels of the Pomerantz Pavilion, houses the adult patient care area. Children are treated in the Pediatric Specialty Clinic, located on the second level of the Colloton Pavilion.
- Breast Imaging, located on the third level of the Pappajohn Pavilion.
- Adult Blood and Marrow Transplantation, located on the seventh level of the Carver Pavilion.
- Patients are also seen in various department clinics including, Dermatology, Center for Digestive Diseases, Orthopedics, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, and Urology.
Research is conducted in laboratories throughout the University of Iowa campus. The Roland and Ruby Holden Cancer Research Laboratories, part of the Medical Education and Research Facility, allow the Holden Cancer Center to integrate many researchers in close proximity to each other.
Below, George Weiner, MD, Director of the University of Iowa Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center, explains how the three branches of Holden—cancer care, research, and education—set it apart from other cancer centers as a truly comprehensive center, with the expertise to reduce the burden of cancer for Iowans and beyond.