There are many sides to the role Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center plays as an educator.
Informing the Public
Patients and their families seek an introduction as well as very specific information concerning their cancer diagnosis. The Cancer Resource Center helps them locate basic facts, case studies, and scientific breakthroughs to help them understand their condition and the range of treatments and outcomes. Each year, the Cancer Resource Center helps nearly 7,000 users in their search for information about cancer.
Holden takes seriously its role to educate the public about cancer prevention and cancer care resources. Through the Cancer Resource Center and a network of cancer centers around Iowa, Holden publishes the Iowa Cancer Consortium (ICC). The ICC includes information about cancer risks and prevention, screening, clinical trials, living with cancer and local resources for cancer care and support.
The more than 200 faculty clinicians and researchers who are members of Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center are also teachers and mentors. They have chosen to pursue careers in an academic setting and are committed to preparing new generations of researchers and clinicians. Holden's students include:
- Undergraduates at the University and from throughout the state who work as laboratory assistants in cancer research labs
- Graduate students in a wide range of disciplines who hold research assistantships under the supervision of faculty researchers
- Health care students—in fields like nursing, pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, physical therapy, and psychology—who train in clinical settings alongside their professional mentors
- Professionals in health care fields who look to the expertise of Holden clinicians and researchers to help keep their understanding of the field up-to-date and in synch with current treatment modalities
- Members of the public who attend Holden seminars to learn more about cancer risks, prevention and treatment options
Watch and Learn
Watch our whiteboard videos to learn more about various cancer topics from our own experts.