The Primary Stroke Center at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics recently achieved Advanced Certification Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, making it the only institution in Iowa and one of only 35 nationwide to receive the designation.
As a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the University of Iowa Stroke Center is part of a select group of providers focused on complex stroke care. Comprehensive Stroke Centers are recognized as industry leaders and are responsible for setting the national agenda in highly specialized stroke care.
“We are delighted by this designation because it recognizes the expertise and special resources we have at the University of Iowa,” says Harold Adams, MD, professor of neurology and director of the UI Stroke Center. “This also represents years of hard work by a large number of individuals throughout the institution, including researchers, administrators, nurses, and doctors.”
The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association launched this designation for stroke centers in September 2012 and completed a six-month test of performance measures between October 2012 and March 2013.
Comprehensive Stroke Center certification is given when centers meet the following criteria:
- Have dedicated and staffed neuro-intensive care unit beds for complex stroke patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Use advanced imaging capabilities
- Meet minimum requirements for providing care to patients with a stroke diagnosis
- Coordinate post-hospital care for patients
- Use a peer review process to evaluate and monitor the care provided to patients with ischemic stroke and subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Participate in stroke research
“This outstanding achievement is the result of many years of hard work, training, teamwork, and dedication to our patients,” says Jean Robillard, MD, UI vice president for medical affairs. “We are extremely pleased to be recognized as one of the elite stroke centers in the United States.”