Follow this checklist to help ensure a smooth billing process.
Before your appointment
- Contact your insurance company to make sure you understand your benefits and your plan’s requirements.
- Confirm that UIHC is a contracted provider of services for your plan.
- Obtain a referral if required by your insurance company. Discuss this with your primary care physician prior to scheduling an appointment with one of our specialists.
- Know the limitations of the referral and obtain an extension or expansion of the scope of the referral if needed.
- If you are a new patient to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics or have experienced a change in your insurance coverage since your last visit, please contact our Pre-Access unit within Patient Financial Services to update prior to your appointment. You may contact 866-309-0832. This will decrease your wait time upon arrival to your appointment.
- Bring your driver’s license and other form of identification.
- Bring your health insurance card.
- If you are a returning patient, let us know if your personal or insurance information has changed since your last visit.
- Alert the check-in staff if your visit is related to an accident, either motor vehicle accident related or liability, as this could change the responsible party information needed in order to bill appropriately.
- Be prepared to make a co-payment or deductible as needed.
After your visit
- Respond promptly to any requests from your insurance provider to ensure timely resolution of your charges.
- If you have an out-of-pocket balance due on a bill, please make timely payment.
- Call us if you have any questions or concerns about a bill or to make arrangement if you cannot pay your balance in full.