Chemotherapy means treatment with chemicals or medicine. Most people use the term, chemotherapy or "chemo," to mean treatment of cancer with medicines. Chemotherapy is one of the types of treatment for cancer. Surgery, for instance, removes the cancerous tumor. Radiation therapy kills cancer cells that are in the radiation’s beam. Immunotherapy helps rid the body of cancer by making the body’s immune system stronger. Chemotherapy stops or slows the growth and division of cancer cells. Sometimes it takes all four of those cancer treatments to cure or control certain cancers.
- Types of Chemotherapy
- Why and How Is Chemotherapy Given?
- What Are the Side Effects of Anti-cancer Drugs?
- What Can Be Done about Side Effects?
- When to Call Your Doctor
- Dealing with Cancer Therapy Hair Loss
- Caring For Your Hair and Skin During Chemo or Radiation
UI Cancer Information Service