UI Health Care's Heart and Vascular Center is a national leader in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of heart and vascular diseases. From routine heart care to minimally invasive surgery and transplantation, UI Hospitals and Clinics is recognized nationally for its heart and vascular care. A few of the reasons why you should select Iowa's Heart Care Experts:
- Ranked as a Top Regional Hospital Eastern Iowa for Cardiology and Heart Surgery by US News and World Report 2015-2016. This rankings is awarded based on demonstrating exceptionally high-performance in a specialty.
- Wellmark® Blue Cross® and Blue Shield® has named UI Hospitals and Clinics as one of the first hospitals in the nation to receive a Blue Distinction Center Plus (+) designation in the area of cardiac care, as part of the Blue Distinction Centers for Specialty Care® program (2014). The designation is based on rigorous measures (or “selection criteria”) established with expert physicians’ and medical organizations’ recommendations to help consumers find healthcare facilities that have demonstrated better overall outcomes in the delivery of specialty care
- Ranked in the top 50 hospitals for cardiology and heart surgery 2014-2015 by US News and World Report.
- UI Heart and Vascular Center was the first commercial program in Iowa to perform the innovative transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) procedure in 2011.
- University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics is the only heart transplant center in Iowa.
- The UI Heart Failure and Transplant Program was the first center in the Upper Midwest to send a patient home supported with a total artificial heart in 2011.
- The Heart and Vascular Center at UI Hospitals and Clinics received national certification from the Joint Commission for its Ventricular Assist Device Program to treat patients with advanced heart failure in 2013. UI Heart and Vascular is one of only three certified programs in the region with this certification.
- The UI Heart and Vascular Center is the only hospital in the nation to receive national accreditation by the Joint Commission for aortic aneurysm repair in 2013.