University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics has a long history of providing care to patients regardless of their ability to pay. Our primary value is "the needs of the patient come first."
UI Hospitals and Clinics provides services to meet the needs of people who are unable to pay for care. These services include:
- Helping people find sources to fund their care, including opportunities to work with outside agencies.
- Using fair and consistent collection practices that are in the best interest of all parties involved.
- Providing individualized payment plans
- Providing emergency care to stabilize you, regardless of your ability to pay.
UI Hospitals and Clinics has developed a process for directing people to alternative sources of funding for their medical care. UI Hospitals and Clinics determines your need for charity care based on financial information and the medical services needed.
2016 Annual Income Guidelines for Uncompensated Care Eligibility Determination
Effective January 25, 2016
|Family Size||Poverty Guidelines||200%||250%||300%||350%|
(*) For family units over eight (8), add the amount shown for each additional member.
- You must be a documented resident of Iowa.
- Your income is at or below 350% of the Federal Income Poverty Guidelines.
- You must provide proof of income (income includes gross wages, rental income, gross income from self-employment, public assistance, social security, unemployment compensation, strike benefits, alimony, child support, military family allotments, pensions, veteran's benefits, etc.) Sources of income apply to all applicable family members.
- Family members include patient's spouse and patient's child under the age of eighteen living at home.
- You must comply with the Medicaid eligibility process with the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics/UI Health Care system designated vendor or an on-site representative.
- You must have active, full coverage medical insurance for the visits you are seeking assistance for in order to comply with the Federal Affordable Care Act.
- UI Hospitals and Clinics offers a tiered approach to our Uncompensated Care discounts, based upon account balance:
- Up to $1500
- $1500 to 5000
- Over $5000
- If you qualify for less than 100% financial assistance coverage, you will be asked to pay 100% of the uncovered estimated balance, according to UI Hospitals and Clinics financial assistance policy.
- Financial Support Application
To learn more about general financial resources available visit the General Financial Assistance Resources page.