Parking and Wayfinding
Plan for Construction Delays
Please be aware that, due to construction, you may experience traffic delays at your upcoming visit to UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Children's Hospital. Please plan extra time for arrival and parking.
In House Directions
Ramp Parking and Rates
We provide convenient parking for patients and visitors in three ramps surrounding UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Children's Hospital. The ramps are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and parking can be paid by
cash, check, MasterCard, or Visa. You can also choose valet parking for a flat fee of $12, which allows you to leave your car with an attendant at the Main Entrance or Pomerantz Family Pavilion entrance. The valet fee is paid before you leave and can be paid by cash or check, MasterCard, or Visa.
- The park-yourself option is best for patients and visitors who will be here a half day or less. All of our ramps have several handicapped accessible parking spaces and all are served by elevators.
- To receive the lowest parking rates, all patients and visitors should ask for a Reduced-Fee Parking Pass from the clinic or nursing unit. Give this pass along with your parking ramp ticket to the cashier when you exit and pay.
Here's a quick guide to how close you'll be to your clinical service based on where you park and current rates:
- Ramp 1 is located close to services in Boyd Tower and General Hospital. If your appointment letter mentions taking Elevator A, B, or C, consider parking in Ramp 1. It is located a short walk from our Fountain entrance. It is also convenient for visits to our Center for Disabilities and Development.
- Ramp 3 is located across Hawkins Drive from the hospitals and clinics complex. A skyway connects the ramp to the Carver, Colloton, and Pappajohn pavilions of the hospital, near Elevators E, F, and I.
- Ramp 4 is located closest to the Pomerantz Family Pavilion, which includes the Family Medicine Clinic, the Ambulatory Surgery Center, and the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center. It is connected by a skyway to the building on Level 2. You will be closest to Elevators L and M.
Parking Ramp Rate charges for patients and visitors with validated pass/waiver effective January 13, 2014.
- 0-30 minutes: Free
- 31 to 60 minutes: $0.60
- Each additional hour: $1.20
- Maximum daily rate: $10
- Lost ticket: $10
We offer valet parking service at two locations. The main entrance service is best for hospital and clinic visits in Boyd Tower, General Hospital and the Carver, Colloton and Pappajohn pavilions. Service there runs Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Pomerantz Family Pavilion service puts you close to Elevators L and M. It is available from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is a $12 flat fee paid by cash, check, MasterCard, or Visa.
If you will be at the hospital for several days, you may want to purchase a reduced-rate, three-day ($27) or seven-day ($58) parking permit. These permits can be purchased at the Information Desk in the Main Lobby, at the Pomerantz Information Desk, Level One, or in the Parking and Transportation Office in the West Campus Transportation Center, connected to Ramp 3. Call 319-335-1475. With this permit, you can park in the ramps for three or seven consecutive days and come and go from a ramp as many times as needed.
Free Off-site Parking Option
Patients and family members can park for free in the Hawkeye Commuter Lot. Validation of a clinic appointment or hospital stay/visit is required to obtain the permit. Permits can be picked up at the Parking Services Office in the West Campus Transportation Center, connected to Ramp 3. The Hawkeye Commuter Lot is about 2 miles from the UI Hospitals and Clinics and is served frequently during the day by the free UI Cambus service.