ATLP has provided legal advocacy to more than 400 Iowans since the project began in 1993 as an optional part of the Assistive Technology Act.
Case representation on assistive technology (AT) issues is provided through contracts with Disability Rights Iowa. This includes free legal help to Iowans dealing with adapted equipment legal issues, such as:
- Denials of equipment claims by Medicare Part B, Medicaid or private insurance
- Dual eligibility issues – these are complications that can occur for people who have both Medicare and Medicaid
- Issues about getting devices for k-12
- Issues about getting equipment for nursing home residents
- Problems with devices that would be considered "lemons" or with repairs
People who have, or think they may have, a legal question related to AT should get in touch with Disability Rights Iowa at 800-779-2502.