Stories about Lives Touched by Transplants
- Rising from Tragedy
- A 10-year-old’s parents find comfort in knowing that his tragic death led to the enrichment of several lives because of his donated organs.
Transplant Families in the News
Team Iowa participated in the 2014 Transplant Games held in Houston, Texas, in July. Their efforts at the Games made news in their hometowns:
- Transplants Are Beautiful—Scars and All
- College teacher Tonia Ellis learns a lesson common in her own classroom: positive body image, even after an organ transplant.
- Jessica’s Transplant: A Story of Giving and Receiving
- After donating one of her kidneys to her sister, Jessica Ferrato receives a new life herself through a donated kidney.
- A Kidney from Dad
- A video visit with hockey-playing dad, Travis Hamilton, recounts the story of hope that brought renewed life to his young son, Trae.
- The "Dandy" Brotherhood
- Lifelong friends have a new bond through the kidney one donated to the other, and they're never going to let each other live it down.
- World's Tiniest Liver Recipient
- At less than three weeks old, Kaylee Lindley received a transplanted portion of her father's liver. Miracles like these are part of the UI Organ Transplant Center's legacy.
- New Liver Brings a Buoyancy to Life
- While livers don’t necessarily make our body’s float, this man’s new liver has him buoyed him to the top of his sport as a competitive swimmer.
- He's All Heart
- It’s hard to imagine that Beckham was very, very sick when he was born. His heart was barely working and was unable to infuse his blood with life-giving oxygen.
- Newborn Needed New Heart to Live
- Well before his first birthday, Mason had a brand new heart. Doctors had him on the waiting list weeks before he was born.
- A New Heart Is the Ultimate Gift
- Steve finds it hard to express the joy and emotional impact of receiving a donor’s heart.
- Thankful to Be Breathing New Life
- After being turned down for a lung transplant at two Minnesota transplant centers, Dennis Mack turned to the University of Iowa for new hope, new lungs, and a new life.
- Extreme Makeover Includes New Lungs and Fixed Heart
- Thanks to a dedicated team, Martha Carruthers is Iowa’s first patient ever to receive a lung transplant and a CABG at the same time.
- Running Races with Ease
- Running races is no longer a problem for April, whose lungs were badly damaged by cystic fibrosis.
- Touched by Transplant
- Your Transplant Home
- Patient Resources