The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Iowa offers the most comprehensive mental health services in the state. Skilled psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, occupational and recreational therapists, and social workers comprise multidisciplinary teams that provide state-of-the-art care for patients.
- The department was the first psychiatric department to be established west of the Mississippi River.
- The department is made up of more than 80 full-time faculty members who provide national and international leadership on a range of psychiatric disorders and disciplines.
- The department was named a High Performing Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2013.
- The department is ranked #19 in National Institutes of Health (NIH) research funding, has over 65 research initiatives in progress, and publishes over 150 scientific papers annually.
- The department pioneered the use of brain imaging technology to better understand the physiological changes that surround psychiatric disorders.