University of Iowa Health Care has a decades-long tradition of innovation and excellence in lung care. In 1956, UI physicians were pioneers in the invention of the heart-lung machine, and 50 years later we conducted the first magnetically guided lung procedure using a technique pioneered at the University of Iowa. Throughout that time, our multidisciplinary pulmonary team has been a leader in developing new approaches to diagnosing and treating lung diseases and conditions.
- U.S. News & World Report ranked UI Children's Hospital 47th in the nation in pediatric pulmonology. (2013)
- Ranked as a High Performing Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2013.
- With Iowa's largest hyperbaric chamber, the UI Hyperbaric Medicine and Wound Care Clinic serves as a regional hyperbaric medicine service.
- A UI Research Foundation licensee recently received FDA approval for lung analysis software.
- In a recent year we completed 17 lung transplants.
- Our 2009 Transplant Survival Rates (after one year)
Physicians from Pulmonology Listed Among Best Doctors®
Academic Departments that Provide Pulmonology Care