University of Iowa Health Care is a national leader in diagnosing and treating kidney and urinary disorders in both adults and children. Our multidisciplinary teams are formed from medical and surgical specialties across the institution to provide patient-centered care.
- Our clinical services for nephrology (kidney disease) were ranked 40th by U.S. News & World Report in 2014.
- U.S.News & World Report ranked our pediatric kidney disorders treatment program 20th in 2014, making it the first and only hospital in Iowa ranked for children's care.
- We were the first hospital in Iowa to use robotic surgery for radical prostatectomy procedures, in which a patient's cancerous prostate is removed, and pyeloplasty procedures for treating patients with obstructed kidneys.
- In a typical year, we perform more than 50 kidney transplants.
- Our 2009 Transplant Survival Rates (after one year)
- Adult Kidney Graft: 96%
- Pediatric Kidney Graft: 100%