University of Iowa Health Care is a national leader in diagnosing and treating kidney and urinary disorders in both adults and children. Our multidisciplinary teams are formed from medical and surgical specialties across the institution to provide patient-centered care.
- Our clinical services for nephrology (kidney disease) were ranked 42nd by U.S. News &
World Report in 2013.
- U.S.News & World Report ranked our pediatric kidney disorders
treatment program 25th in 2013, making it the first and only hospital in Iowa ranked for
- We were the first hospital in Iowa to use robotic surgery for radical prostatectomy
procedures, in which a patient's cancerous prostate is removed, and pyeloplasty
procedures for treating patients with obstructed kidneys.
- In a typical year, we perform more than 50 kidney transplants.
- Our 2009 Transplant Survival Rates (after one year)
- Adult Kidney Graft: 96%
- Pediatric Kidney Graft: 100%
Physicians from Nephrology Listed Among America's Best Doctors
- Lisa Antes, MD
- J Andrew Bertolatus, MD
- Bradley Dixon, MD
- Joel Gordon, MD
- Rebecca Hegeman, MD
- Lawrence Hunsicker, MD
- Roberto Kalil, MD
- Carla Nester, MD
- Douglas Somers, MD
- Manish Suneja, MD
- Christie Thomas, MBBS
Academic Departments that Provide Nephrology Care