Our world-renowned specialists provide Iowa's most comprehensive array of eye health services, ranging from routine eye care to cutting-edge diagnosis and treatment of complex eye conditions.
- Our clinical services for ophthalmology were ranked 6th in the nation by US News & World Report in 2012.
- We created the first center for macular degeneration in the United States, providing patient care
while also conducting research into more effective treatments and possible
prevention of the disease.
- Our researchers discovered the first known gene to cause human open-angle glaucoma, as well as a number of other genes responsible for rare forms of retinal disease.
- We are a world leader in the research and treatment of inherited eye diseases affecting adults and children.
- UI is a leader in the treatment of retinoblastomas, ocular melanoma, and periocular skin cancers.
- We have the only neuro-ophthalmology service in Iowa.
- We performed 265 cornea transplants in a recent year.
- We offer a comprehensive low vision and vision rehabilitation service to help individuals maximize their vision and lead productive lives.
Physicians from Eye Health listed among America's Best Doctors
- Wallace Alward, MD
- Culver Boldt, MD
- Keith Carter, MD
- Arlene Drack, MD
- James Folk, MD
- Kenneth Goins, MD
- A. Tim Johnson, MD, PHD
- Randy Kardon, MD, PHD
- Young Kwon, MD
- Vinit Mahajan, MD, PHD
- Thomas Oetting, MD
- Stephen Russell, MD
- Edwin Stone, MD, PHD
- Michael Wall, MD (Neuro)
Academic Departments that Provide Eye Care