University of Iowa is the state's acknowledged leader in Emergency Care. We are home to the state's only Level I trauma designation for both adult and pediatric care. Our Emergency Department is the only emergency room in eastern Iowa to staff board-certified pediatric specialists.
- We receive more than 1,070 patients transferred by helicopter between in a typical year.
- We care for nearly 50,000 Emergency-Trauma Center visits in an average year.
- The trauma team, administered by the Department of Surgery, includes six trauma surgeons, four of whom are also critical-care specialists. In addition, multiply injured patients receive care from specialists in many areas including but not limited to orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, anesthesia, radiology and the Emergency Department.
- The Emergency Department uses AirCare, which is the only flight program in the state affiliated with an emergency medicine residency program and is the only flight program in the state supplementing their medical crew with flight physicians.
- AirCare collaborates with 100 emergency medical services, fire and law enforcement programs throughout Iowa and the region