University of Iowa is the state's acknowledged leader in Emergency Care. We are home to the state's only Level I trauma designation for both adult and pediatric care. Our Emergency Department is the only emergency room in eastern Iowa to staff board-certified pediatric specialists.
- We receive more than 1,070 patients transferred by helicopter between in a typical year.
- We care for nearly 50,000 Emergency-Trauma Center visits in an average year.
- The trauma team, administered by the Department of Surgery, includes six
trauma surgeons, four of whom are also critical-care specialists. In addition,
multiply injured patients receive care from specialists in many areas including
but not limited to orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery, otolaryngology,
ophthalmology, anesthesia, radiology and the Emergency Department.
- The Emergency Department uses AirCare, which is the only flight program in the state
affiliated with an emergency medicine residency program and is the only flight
program in the state supplementing their medical crew with flight physicians.
- AirCare collaborates with 100 emergency medical services, fire and law
enforcement programs throughout Iowa and the region
Physicians from Emergency Care listed among Best Doctors®
- Azeemuddin Ahmed, MD
- Gregory Bell, MD
- Christopher Buresh, MD
- Carlyn Christensen-Szalanski, MD
- Dana Collaguazo, MD
- Mark Graber, MD
- Hans House, MD
- Harlo Hove, MD
- Andrew Nugent, MD
- Bobby Peters, MD
Academic Departments that Provide Emergency Care