Staff members in our Cancer Information Service have collected these simple steps you may wish to consider to help reduce your risk of cancer.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco, smokeless tobacco, or electronic tobacco products.
- Do not go into enclosed areas where there is or has been second-hand smoke or within 23 feet of someone smoking.
- Learn more about how to quit.
- Control your calorie intake to reach or stay at your ideal body weight.
- Follow a low fat (30% of total calories), high fiber (20-30 gm/day) diet.
- Eat 5-9 fruits and vegetables a day.
- Eat charcoal grilled meats only occasionally, if at all. Marinating lean meats in citrus or olive oil lowers the formation of cancer causing substances thus making grilling healthier.
- If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation (1 drink/day for females; 2 drinks/day for males).
- Learn more about diet and disease.
- Exercise 30 minutes a day five times a week. Ten minutes at a time is fine!
- Learn more about exercise and immunity.
- Do not go in the sun without protective clothing and sunscreen.
- Use sunless tanning products, not tanning beds!
Check Your Home
- Check your home for cancer-causing agents, such as asbestos and radon.
- Use protective clothing if using possibly harmful materials, such as lawn pest products or fertilizers.
- Avoid exposure at home or work to cancer-causing chemicals, such as benzene.
- Talk to your doctor and get screened!
Information for You
11510 Pomerantz Family Pavillion
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, Iowa 52242