College Student Volunteers
College student volunteers help serve faculty, staff, patients and families in a variety of world-class care units here. Varying degrees of patient contact are available; we take pride in having placements that meet the varied interests of our diverse student population. Orientations take place at the beginning of each semester, and we require a two semester commitment to weekly three hour volunteer shifts. We hope you decide to join our team!
Many of our college student volunteers have found the makings of a health career based on their experiences as a volunteer. Others have found volunteering to be a natural complement to their career calling, regardless of the field. Volunteer Services-sponsored businesses generate funds that have been invested into scholarship opportunities for outstanding college student volunteers. Students from all colleges and universities are encouraged to apply.
We require college student volunteers to:
- Have a desire to help others and be a part of our health care team
- Make a commitment to volunteer a minimum of three hours once per week for two semesters, as well as meet the demands arising from academic and work schedules
- Preregister, attend an orientation, interview and participate in a departmental orientation
- Complete a simple health screening (similar to the process our staff members go through) and sign a background check consent form before you begin to volunteer. The screening and check are performed at no cost to you.
- Meet with a Volunteer Services Student Board leader to finalize placement details
- Print and complete our application. (Returning volunteers - please scroll down to the reorientation section below).
- The application contains a reference form which must be completed on your behalf and returned in an envelope with a signature over the seal. The form may be mailed or brought to our office. You may submit your application without including your reference, however the reference must be in our office before your application is considered complete.
- Return the completed materials in person to Volunteer Services (Elevator F, Level 8) during regular business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday) after the date listed below. Application materials will not be accepted outside of the times listed and a limited number of openings exist.
Upon submitting the completed application to Volunteer Services, you will be given your preregistration cover sheet with more specific information about our orientation session, including a health screening packet. Call to schedule a health screening appointment at UEHC, the University Employee Health Clinic (1st floor Boyd Tower). Those students who are farther along in the health screening process will have priority in choosing a unit at the large group orientation session.
Look at the list of unit placement options and choose three or four that you would be most interested in.
Attend the large group orientation session, where you will select your volunteer placement and complete an interview with your Student Leader Board Member.
Attend a unit specific training session.
- Summer 2013 applications will be accepted starting Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Summer 2013 orientation is Sunday, June 9, 2013
- Fall 2013 applications will be accepted starting Monday, July 1, 2013
Fall 2013 orientation is Monday, September 2, 2013
We have an assortment of volunteer opportunities with varying degrees of patient contact. We take pride in having placements that meet the varied interests of our diverse student population.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering. We're excited that you're considering joining the team, and we look forward to helping you make your own amazing memories as a volunteer here.
Each semester, our active volunteers receive an e-mail from the current Student Leader Board Chairperson and must register by e-mail to attend. If you are a college student volunteer and it has been at least one year since your last orientation, or if you would like to switch to a different unit placement, you will need to attend a reorientation. If you did not receive an e-mail from the Chairperson and you need to attend reorientation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reorientations are held at the beginning of each semester on the same day as new college student volunteer orientations.
Gain valuable leadership skills and expand your volunteer experience by joining our College Student Leader Board (SLB).