College student volunteers help serve faculty, staff, patients and families in a variety of world-class care units here. Varying degrees of patient contact are available; we take pride in having placements that meet the varied interests of our diverse student population. Orientations take place at the beginning of each semester, and we require a two semester commitment to weekly three hour volunteer shifts. We hope you decide to join our team!
Many of our college student volunteers have found the makings of a health career based on their experiences as a volunteer. Others have found volunteering to be a natural complement to their career calling, regardless of the field. Volunteer Services-sponsored businesses generate funds that have been invested into scholarship opportunities for outstanding college student volunteers. Students from all colleges and universities are encouraged to apply.
We require college student volunteers to:
- Have a desire to help others and be a part of our health care team
- Make a commitment to volunteer a minimum of three hours once per week for two semesters, as well as meet the demands arising from academic and work schedules
- Preregister, attend an orientation, interview and participate in a departmental orientation
- Complete a simple health screening (similar to the process our staff members go through) and sign a background check consent form before you begin to volunteer. The screening and check are performed at no cost to you.
- Meet with a Volunteer Services Student Board leader to finalize placement details
- Print and complete our application. (Returning volunteers - please scroll down to the reorientation section below).
- The application contains a confidential reference form which must be completed on your behalf, returned in an envelope with a signature over the seal, and submitted along with your application. This form is required in order for your application to be complete and to be issued a preregistration packet. Applications are not considered complete unless the back of the envelope is signed and until the reference letter is attached to your application in our office. Professional references preferred. Please do not use relatives orpersonal physicians for your reference letter.
- Return the completed materials in person to Volunteer Services (Elevator F, Level 8) during regular business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday) after the date listed below. Application materials will not be accepted outside of the times listed and a limited number of openings exist.
- Spring 2015 orientation is currently full. All applications at this time will be placed on a waiting list. Spring 2015 orientation is Monday, January 19, 2015
- Summer 2015 applications will be accepted starting Friday, May 1, 2015 Summer 2015 orientation is Sunday, June 14, 2015
- Fall 2015 applications will be accepted starting Wednesday, July 1, 2015 Fall 2015 orientation is Sunday, August 30, 2015
We have an assortment of volunteer opportunities with varying degrees of patient contact. We take pride in having placements that meet the varied interests of our diverse student population.
Thanks for your interest in volunteering. We're excited that you're considering joining the team, and we look forward to helping you make your own amazing memories as a volunteer here.
Each semester our active volunteers receive an e-mail from the current Student Leader Board Chairperson regarding reorientation. All students are required to update their paperwork and TB test each year. TB tests can be updated at University Employee Health Clinic (Elevator A, Level 1). In order to update your TB test, you will need to bring your badge to be scanned. If you are planning to switch unit placements, you will need to register to attend reorientation via an e-mail to the Chairperson. If you plan to stay in the same unit placement, we offer the option to submit your updated paperwork before your first volunteer shift in the new semester. If you do not receive an e-mail from the Chairperson and you need to attend reorientation, please contact email@example.com.
Reorientations are held at the beginning of each semester on the same day as the new college student volunteer orientations.
Have you found success in your volunteer role at UI Hospitals and Clinics? Are you interested in taking your service to the next level and help to improve the patient and family experience? If you would like to play a role in ensuring the new volunteers to our hospital have as successful a volunteer experience and contribute to the team, we invite you to apply for a mentor position in our hospital.
Gain valuable leadership skills and expand your volunteer experience by joining our College Student Leader Board (SLB).
Volunteer Services Resources
- Become a Volunteer
- Resources for Current Volunteers
- Featured Programs
- Our Sponsored Businesses and Partnerships
- Volunteer Services Gift Cards
- Where Does the Money Go?
- Upcoming Events
- Volunteer Services' Document Library
UI Hospitals and Clinics
8025 JCP (Elevator F, Level 8)
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, Iowa 52242