The graduate student can use either The University of Iowa Student Health & Wellness for primary care or a UI primary care provider. It will not be necessary to choose a specific care manager for insurance purposes; however, students are encouraged to develop a relationship with one provider.
Spouses who are not University of Iowa students, and children select their primary care provider from Family Medicine, General Internal Medicine, or General Pediatrics. Choosing a primary care location is the first step in developing a wellness plan tailored to your individual needs. Female spouses and dependents may select OB/GYN services from the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology if they wish to have a separate provider for other primary care needs.
Mental Health and Chemical Dependency
A confidential assessment and short term counseling can be obtained at no charge to the student by calling the University Counseling Service at 319-335-7294. Counselors can assist patients with needs, help resolve the problem, or facilitate a referral to a provider based on the assessment.
Patients seeking outpatient mental health and chemical dependency treatment will need to be seen by a Blue Advantage provider to receive benefit coverage. Those patients electing to be seen by a non-participating provider will have benefit coverage reduced to 50 percent.
Individuals who would like to make behavioral health appointments at UI Hospitals and Clinics, may call: 877-384-8999 to obtain an appointment with either a UI Psychiatrist or other UI provider.
A convenient pharmacy is located at UI Student Health & Wellness in Westlawn on the UI Health Sciences campus. All pharmacies in the Iowa City/Coralville/North Liberty area participate in the UIGRADCare plan as well. For plan participants living outside this area, check pharmacy locations. Certain drugs are limited per month, benefit period, or lifetime by drug-specific quantity limitations. The limitations are determined by Wellmark based on Medical necessity. For a list of drugs subjects and quantity limitations, check with your pharmacist, physician or Wellmark.
Important Features of UIGRADCare include:
- Expert primary care provided through convenient locations: Student Health Service, UI Family Care Clinics, and UI Community Medical services across the State of Iowa.
- Open access to world-renowned University of Iowa Health Care specialists.
- State-of-the-art obstetrics and gynecological care provided by the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Family Medicine.
- Comprehensive coverage of physicals, well-child visits and other preventative services.
- Access to disease management programs available at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- Availability of health information and assistance 24 hours a day through UI Health Access (319-384-8442 or 800-777-8442).
- Convenient pharmacy locations throughout the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and Student Health & Wellness.
- Prescription card benefits with no deductible.
- Nurse case managers within the UI Health Plans Customer Care Services office to assist you with complex medical issues or conditions.
- Assistance from UI Health Plans Customer Care Services staff with questions about benefits, appointments, claims and general information or concerns in accordance with the UIGRADCare insurance contract. Call 319-356-8442 or 800-356-8442.
UI Health Plans Customer Care Services Resources
- Prescription Coverage
- Travel Coverage
- University Benefits
- Benefits Education Center
- Frequently Asked Questions
- UI Wellness
- UI QuickCare
- UI Employee Assistance Program
- Physician Directory
- Customer Care Services
Contact UsUI Health Plans Customer Care Services Office
200 Hawkins Drive, C136 GH
Iowa City, IA 52242
Open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.