Pros and Cons of Clinical Research
- You may get promising new treatment methods that you can’t get outside clinical research.
- The new method may have less side effects than the usual care.
- You may be the first to benefit from the new method.
- You are helping others with the same disease, both now and in the future.
- You play an active role in your own health care.
- New drugs or methods are not always better than the normal treatment.
- New methods may have side effects or risks that doctors do not expect or are worse than those from the normal treatment.
- If you are in a randomized study you will not be able to choose the treatment you receive.
- Your health insurance may not cover all costs.
- You may need to make more visits to the hospital or clinic.
- Even if a new treatment has benefits, it may not work for you.
Info for Volunteers
Questions? Call 319-356-1060
Info for Researchers
We welcome your feedback! Please help us improve your experience on our website by completing a brief survey.