Opportunities for Fellows
Our division actively publishes in basic, translational and clinical research realms. All fellows in our program are required to complete two years of research. There are numerous opportunities for basic science lab research in any field of interest across all subspecialties including within our own division. Translational and basic sciences research within our division includes the work of Dr. Aliye Uc, involving mechanisms of pancreatic damage in cystic fibrosis using a porcine model, understanding etiology of acute recurrent and chronic pancreatitis in children (spearheading a multicenter study including 13 other pediatric gastroenterology centers in US and Canada) and the role of heme oxygenase in gut inflammation and oxidative stress. Dr. Warren Bishop and Dr. Riad Rahhal are active in clinical research in the field of constipation, enteral nutritional devices and placement techniques. Fellows also have the opportunity to find research mentors outside the division. Previous fellows have had mentors in Pediatric Critical Care, Immunology, Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology and Hematology Divisions.
The following is list of some of our division's recent publications:
- Rahhal RM, Bishop WP. Initial clinical experience with allopurinol-thiopurine combination therapy in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 14(12):1678-82, 2008.
- Sainathan S, Hanna EM, Gong Q, et al. Granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor ameliorates DSS-induced experimental colitis. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 14(1):88-99, 2008.
- Rogers CS, Stoltz DA, Meyerholz DK, Ostedgaard LS, Rokhlina T, Taft PJ, Rogan MP, Pezzulo AA, Karp PH, Itani OA, Kabel AC, Wohlford-Lenane CL, Davis GJ, Smith TL, Samuel M, Wax D, Murphy CN, Rieke A, Whitworth K, Uc A, et al. Disruption of the CFTR Gene Produces a Model of Cystic Fibrosis in Newborn Piglets. Science. 321(5897):1837-41, 2008.
- Rahhal RM, Bishop WP. Sacrosidase Trial in Chronic Nonspecific Diarrhea in Children. Open Pediatric Medicine Journal. 2:35-38, 2008.
- Rahhal RM, Ellison J, Bishop WP. Multiple Esophageal Leiomyomas. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 49(1):1, 2009.
- Colletti, RB, Baldassano RN, Milov DE, Margolis PA, Bousvaros A, Crandall WV, Crissinger KD, D'Amico MA, Day AS, Denson LA, Dubinsky M, Ebach DR, et al, for PIBDNet-the Pediatric IBD Network for Research and Improvement. Variation in care in pediatric Crohn's disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 49(3):297-303, 2009.
- Uc, A, McDonagh AF, Stokes JB. Metabolism of heme in Caco-2 cells. Exp Physiol. 95:296-303, 2010.
- Alawi K, Mitros FA, Bishop WP, Rayhill S, Wu Y. A reduced segment II/III graft for neonatal liver failure with absence of detectable hepatocytes. A case report and literature review. Pediatr Transplant. 2010.
- Stumphy J, Al-Zubeidi D, Guerin L, Mitros F, Rahhal RM. Observations on use of montelukast in pediatric eosinophilic esophagitis: insights for the future. Dis Esophagus. 24(4):229-34, 2010.
- Stoltz DA, Meyerholz DK, Pezzulo AA, Ramachandran S, Rogan MP, Davis GJ, Hanfland RA, Wohlford-Lenane C, Dohrn CL, Bartlett JA, Nelson GA IV, Chang EH, Taft PJ, Ludwig PS, Estin M, Hornick EE, Launspach JL, Samuel M, Rokhlina T, Karp PH, Ostedgaard LS, Uc A, et al. Cystic Fibrosis Pigs Develop Lung Disease and Exhibit Defective Bacterial Eradication at Birth. Science Translational Medicine. 2010; 2:29ra31
- Al-Zubeidi D, Bishop WP, Rahhal RM. Identifying small bowel intussusception related to a gastroenteric feeding tube. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2:63-64, 2011
- Ebach DR, Vanderheyden AD, Ellison JM, Jensen CS. Lymphocytic esophagitis: a possible manifestation of pediatric upper gastrointestinal Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 17(1):45-9, 2011
- Abu-El-Haija M, Stasheff S, Atkins DL, Bishop WP. Rheumatic fever in a patient receiving infliximab therapy for Crohn disease. 52(3):360-1, 2011
- Ostedgaard LS, Meyerholz DK, Chen JH, Pezzulo AA, Karp PH, Rokhlina T, Ernst SE, Hanfland RA, Reznikov L, Ludwig PS, Rogan MP, Davis GJ, Dohrn CL, Taft PJ, Rector MV, Hornick E, Nassar P, Samuel M, Richter SS, Uc A, et al. Low Levels of cftr Activity in CFTRDF508/DF508 Pigs Do Not Prevent the Gastrointestinal and Lung Disease of Cystic Fibrosis. Science Translational Medicine 3:74ra24, 2011
- Al-Zubeidi D, Rahhal RM. Safety techniques for percutaneous gastrostomy tube placement in Pierre Robin Sequence. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 35(3):343-5, 2011
- Abu-El-Haija M, Sinkora M, Meyerholz DK, Welsh MJ, McCray PB Jr, Butler J, Uc A. An activated immune and inflammatory response targets the pancreas of newborn pigs with cystic fibrosis. Pancreatology. 11(5):506-15, 2011
- Morinville VD, Husain SZ, Bai H, Barth B, Alhosh R, Durie PR, Freedman SD, Himes R, Lowe ME, Pohl J, Werlin S, Wilschanski M, Uc A; on Behalf of the INSPPIRE Group. Definitions of Pediatric Pancreatitis and Survey of Present Clinical Practices. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 55(3):261-265, 2012
- Abu-El-Haija M, Ramachandran S, Meyerholz DK, Abu-El-Haija M, Griffin M, Giriyappa RL, Stoltz DA, Welsh MJ, McCray PB Jr, Uc A. Pancreatic damage in fetal and newborn cystic fibrosis pigs involves the activation of inflammatory and remodeling pathways. Am J Pathol. 181(2):499-507, 2012
- Uc A, Zhu X, Wagner BA, Buettner GR, Berg DJ. Heme oxygenase-1 is protective against nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced gastric ulcers. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 54(4):471-6, 2012
- Griffin M, Abu-El-Haija M, Abu-El-Haija M, Rokhlina T, Uc A. Simplified and versatile method for isolation of high-quality RNA from pancreas. Biotechniques. 52(5):332-4, 2012
- Al-Zubeidi D, Rahhal RM. Prospective Randomized Comparative Study of Low-Profile Balloon Gastrostomy Tubes in Children. Nutr Clin Pract. 2012
- Uc A, Giriyappa R, Meyerholz DK, et al. Pancreatic and biliary secretion are both altered in CF pigs. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012