- Monday: 7 a.m. – Resident Run Didactics weekly
- Tuesday: 7 a.m. - Grand Rounds (M&Ms, first Tuesday of each month)
- 5:30 p.m. - Temporal Bone Course (meets weekly September through May)
- Wednesday: 5:30 p.m. - Ear Rounds with Dr. Gantz first Wednesday of the month
- Thursday: 5:30- Rhino Rounds with Dr. Henstrom third Thursday of the Month
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – Tumor Board weekly
- October: Fall Clinical Conference
- March: In-service Training Exam
- May: Spring Clinical Conference/Resident Research Day
- June: Sinus Course, Laser Course, and Head and Neck Cancer Courses
- July/August Basic Science course
- Vacations: Each resident is allowed three weeks of vacation per year. No vacation during the Basic Science course.
Basic Science course in Otolaryngology:
The concept for the Iowa Basic Science Course in Otolaryngology arose during the 1950s from the tradition of Saturday morning lectures. These lectures later evolved into a formal introductory course to the residency program at Iowa for first year otolaryngology residents. Since then, the course has attracted students from visiting institutions each year including regular attendees from Canada, Italy, Puerto-Rico and Brazil.
The course is divided into two sections: A two week supervised cadaver dissection, followed by a three week lecture series. Students attending the course may elect to participate in either the anatomy or lecture series, or both.