The Ethics Consult Service is a resource for patients, family members, or health professionals at UI Hospitals and Clinics who would like help addressing an ethical question or problem related to a patient’s care.
An ethics consult involves trained ethics consultants who respond to requests for help from individuals directly involved in a patient’s care.
Ethics consults are advisory and can be requested to:
- Identify ethical problems in the care of a patient.
- Clarify ethical problems through a careful analysis of the ethical beliefs and values involved.
- Promote discussion of ethical beliefs and values with persons directly involved in a patient’s care.
- Help resolve ethical problems through a process of shared decision-making
Request an Ethics Consult
- Consults can be ordered through Epic by clinicians.
- Consults can also be requested by calling the hospital operator at 319-356-1616 and asking for the ethics consultant on call.
Contact Information for the Ethics Consult ServicePhone: 319-335-8300, Mon. - Fri. 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.