Study and Importance
Evaluating individuals for autism spectrum disorders and obsessive-compulsive disorder to gain understanding of the prevalence of these disorders in the Duchenne Becker Muscular Dystrophy Population.
What is involved?
- Patients aged 3-22 with childhood onset DBMD can participate
- You will be invited to participate while at a regular clinic visit.
- Participants will be asked to complete 2 questionnaires—one that screens for ASD and one that screens for OCD. This screening will take place during the clinic visit and will take about 30 minutes. We will work around your other appointments to minimize any extra time commitment for you.
- If the screening test suggests that the participant mighthave either ASD or OCD, then further testing is required. (Screening tests do NOT make a diagnosis.)
- We will look at your medical record before doing more testing to see if any of the testing has already been done and does not need to be repeated.
- A return visit will be scheduled for either:
- Autism testing by an experienced Psychologist and Speech Pathologist at the Center for Disabilities and Development, estimated: 3 hours
- OCD testing by a pediatric psychiatrist, estimated: 3 hours.
These tests will only be done if there was a problem with first screening test.
- Patients who are found to have an Autism Spectrum Disorder or OCD will be given referrals to get further care.
- All testing will be free of charge.
We will help pay for travel expenses if you need to come back for testing.