UI Asthma Service physicians diagnose and treat asthma and related airway disorders and help you find the care that is appropriate for your condition. Staff members provide education and training in self-management of asthma, advice on environmental assessment and modification and inform patients about opportunities to participate in relevant clinical trials.
- Diagnosis, evaluation, consultation and management of patients with asthma
- Comprehensive clinical examination and treatment of occupational asthma
- Allergy, pulmonary function, bronchoscopy, laryngoscopy, exercise and radiographic testing
- Referral to otolaryngology, gastroenterology or other specialists as appropriate
- Assistance with smoking cessation and pulmonary rehabilitation
- Education in asthma including triggers, monitoring, environmental controls, treatment
- Access to participation in clinical trial
Additional services include a steroid-dependent asthma clinic that provides a multidisciplinary evaluation of resistant, steroid-dependent and otherwise difficult-to-treat asthmatics. This may be arranged on a consultative basis or patients may be referred for long-term follow-up.