Treatment may include any of the following:
Steroid ointments or creams
- How it is used: A thin layer of cream is applied to the vulva or inserted into the vagina
- How it Works: Decrease soreness, burning, and redness
- Caution: Use only as prescribed by your doctor. Overuse may result in thinning of the skin which will make your problem worse rather than helping it.
Following the guidelines for vulvar skin care to avoid anything that may irritate your skin.
Intercourse as desired or use of vaginal dilators
- Your doctor or nurse will instruct you on the correct use of dilators, if you choose to use this method
- How it Works: Prevents a decrease in length or depth of the vagina due to scarring by gently stretching the skin
Lichen planus tends to be a long term condition, but symptoms can usually be kept under control with treatment and regular follow up.