The CEO of UI Hospitals and Clinics, Kenneth Kates, acts as preceptor to the administrative fellow and determines, with the fellow, the content of the fellowship. At the beginning of the fellowship, the fellow will meet with the preceptor to determine goals and project work interest. The fellow will have ongoing interaction with the entire administrative team and meet with the team regularly on a broad range of operational issues.
The term "structured flexibility" most accurately describes the design of the UIHC fellowship. The content of the experience is tailored to best match individual and organization needs. As such, the following components and characteristics provide a framework for defining the fellowship experience:
- Adoption of program goals and objectives, including periodic review with the CEO
- Open access to the CEO and the entire management staff
- Participation in senior management meetings, where direction, policy, and strategic planning issues are addressed for the hospital and UI Health Care
- Participation in central corporate functions (e.g. finance and general operations)
- Participation in the completion of special projects/programs central to the hospital and UI Health Care (e.g. Joint Commission preparation, budget development, clinical program analysis, etc.)
- Development of experience and expertise in at least one area of operation (in addition to involvement in issues relating to the overall operation of UI Health Care)
- Assumption of a partial role as the service representative for the Office of the CEO
- Participation in the educational process within the University of Iowa Graduate Program in Health Management and Policy
- Relationship with the organization that allows for the maintenance of objectivity
- Environment which encourages constructive criticism
- Primary focus on the fellow's assimilation of knowledge, development of attitude and philosophy toward the field, and further refinement of a management style
- Intention of broadening the range of post-fellowship employment opportunities by providing exposure to a various corporate activities of the hospital and UI Health Care
- Commitment of the entire staff to integrate the fellow for a well-rounded experience
The UIHC Administrative Fellowship involves a one-year commitment. A second-year option is dependent upon mutual agreement of the fellow and the CEO. Fellows will receive a competitive salary, plus generous benefits.