Pathology Physician Scientist Training Pathway (PSTP)
Pathology PSTP Advisory Committee
The PSTP Advisory Committee (PAC) is typically formed during PGY2. This group assumes mentoring responsibility from the PSTP Oversight Committee in a coordinated manner.
- PAC membership
- One faculty member in Pathology with active clinical and research roles. This member serves as PAC Chairperson.
- Trainee’s research laboratory principal investigator.
- One faculty clinical advisor, chosen from specialized field of interest.
- One faculty member outside of Pathology (encouraged).
- Choice may include faculty member with secondary appointment in Pathology.
- This individual's role is to provide expertise relevant to the trainee’s scientific or clinical development and may help the trainee negotiate their first employment contract without bias.
- Other individuals may be included at the PAC chair or trainee’s request.
- PAC duties
- Oversight of the trainee’s overall progress, including:
- Research, including estimates of length of research training phase.
- Funding applications (proposal guidelines, critical review).
- Oral Presentations on research.
- Attendance at national meetings.
- Clinical skills maintenance during post-doctoral training.
- Potential clinical fellowship training.
- Residency rotation scheduling (in consultation with residency program director).
- Job placement/application.
- Other concerns of the trainee.
- Meeting schedule:
- Once towards the end of the 6 month research block in PGY2 (assuming PAC has been assembled at this time).
- At least once per year during post-doctoral training (more often if necessary or desired).
- Reports to PSTP Oversight Committee after every meeting using a PAC Progress Assessment Form completed by the PAC Chair.