Pathology Physician Scientist Training Pathway (PSTP)
Pathology PSTP Oversight Committee
This committee provides orientation and early mentoring as outlined below.
1st meeting (orientation meeting) -- first month of residency training.
- Overview of the training pathway individualized to the trainee's needs.
- Research lab selection.
- Exploration of potential career paths, potential mentors and related resources.
- Residency rotation scheduling preferences.
2nd meeting -- third month of PGY1.
- Monitor and/or facilitate the process of identifying a research laboratory and mentor.
- Assist in AP vs. CP residency decision for undecided trainees.
3rd meeting -- sixth months of PGY1.
- Review short list of research laboratory options (if necessary).
- Select 12/6/18 month or 18/6/12 month track for sequencing of clinical-research-clinical training during residency.
- Discuss options, deadlines, requirements, and application process for postdoctoral funding to support research.
4th meeting -- two months into the six month research block (PGY2).
- Monitor early progress in the laboratory.
- Discuss suitability of the chosen mentor for the trainee.
- Monitor progress on identifying/pursuing research funding.
- Determine if mentoring responsibility can be transferred to customized PSTP Advisory Committee (PAC).
- If yes: review of PAC responsibilities and trainee progress with PAC Chairperson.
- If no: develop a timeline for transfer of mentorship to PAC.