Pomerantz Family Pavilion
The Pomerantz Family Pavilion, dedicated on April 26, 1996, was named in honor of the Pomerantz Family in recognition of their $3 million contribution toward the cost of constructing the building. The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Eye Institute occupies more than 56,000 square feet of space on 2 floors of the Pomerantz Family Pavilion. The building also houses several ambulatory care clinics including the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center and Infusion Suites, Women's Health, Otolaryngology, and the Ambulatory Surgery Center.
The Eye Institute
The Eye Institute replaced the Department of Ophthalmology's ambulatory patient care clinics, diagnostic and treatment units, faculty and staff offices, and conference and teaching facilities, which had been located on the second level of the General Hospital since 1950.
Ophthalmology clinic areas are adjacent to the hospital registration facilities on the main floor. The reception, scheduling and waiting areas enjoy the benefit of window walls and skylights. Subspecialty waiting areas are color-coded for ease in locating by patients and staff. Work rooms and check-in stations are also incorporated, affording staff the space and privacy needed for conferences and/or consultations, while providing patients with a readily identifiable source of assistance. More than fifty exam lanes have been designed to be more "user-friendly," and except for those in Pediatric Ophthalmology, are adaptable to the needs of any service, allowing flexibility of usage. Faculty, administrative and most support staff offices are also on the main level adjacent to the clinic area.
The lower level of the Eye Institute features the C.S. O'Brien Ophthalmology Library and the Braley Auditorium. Also on the lower level are clinical coordinator offices, a residents' room and some work spaces. The Residents’ Office and Multimedia Center provides an additional work area and private space for resident physicians with individual desks for each resident. The Multimedia Center has advanced software and hardware facilities for managing data including video to allow portfolio management and review of recent surgeries.
The department has the most up-to-date laser technology and surgical equipment. A team of nurses and technicians within the department staffs the Ophthalmology Procedure Suite. The facility includes three operating rooms, a refractive laser suite and 2 examining rooms. Located closer to the glaucoma and retina services are 4 additional laser rooms. The Main Operating Room is located in an adjacent building, incorporating over 30 suites. The Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) on the 4th floor of the Pomerantz Family Pavilion provides an excellent patient care environment for ophthalmic patients and surgeons. The department performs the majority of its operations in the ASC.
Areas for clinical research are located within department. Basic research laboratories are in adjacent buildings. All buildings making up the Medical Center are connected. The Pomerantz Family Pavilion, at the south end of the complex connects by a skyway to the John Pappajohn Pavilion, providing access to the more than two-million net square feet of space that make up the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
Additional Clinical, Diagnostic and Research Facilities
In addition to the Eye Institute facilities in the
Pomerantz Family Pavilion of the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics,
ophthalmology clinics and faculty associated with The University of
Iowa are present at both the Des Moines and Iowa City Veterans Affairs
Hospitals and at the Des Moines Broadlawns Hospital. Clinical faculty
in private practice are also located in Iowa City, Davenport, and Des
Moines. Research and Clinical Laboratories are located in the Medical
Research Center and the Medical Education and Research Facility.
The Institute for Vision Research is divided into nine functional units, each directed by a faculty member with extensive experience in that area. The Center, located in the Medical Education and Research Facility has laboratory and office space occupying an accumulated 30,000 square foot area and employs over 175 people.
The Ocular Pathology Laboratory occupies approximately 1350 square feet in the contiguous Medical Research Center. The lab is equipped with up-to-date histology and computer equipment and serves as a national reference center.