Resident Awards and Scholarship
UIHC Excellence in Teaching and Humanism Award (2001)
UIHC Excellence in Teaching and Humanism Award (2001)
American Academy of Neurology S. Weir Mitchell Award (2002)
UIHC Excellence in Teaching and Humanism Award (2004)
The Richard W. Fincham Award
The Richard W. Fincham Ward was created in 2002 by the Fincham family to honor the memory of our colleague and friend. Dr. Fincham, long-time faculty member of the Iowa Department of Neurology, was the consummate clinician and colleague, respectful of and respected by all. Each year a graduating neurology resident is chosen who best exemplifies qualities of dedicated patient care and the highest level of collegiality to all. It is a highly cherished prize not only for the qualities it represents, but because it is chosen, according to the wishes of the Fincham family, by all members of the Neurology family – nurses, faculty and resident physicians, lab personnel and support staff. The award carries with it a cash stipend and a symbol of the neurologist, an engraved reflex hammer.
Winners of the Richard W. Fincham Award are:
- Paul Flamme (2014)
- Jeff Boyle (2013)
- Ann Hoang-Tienor (2012)
- Marlan Kay (2011)
- Scott Strader (2010)
- William Andrews (2009)
- Shaun Christenson (2008)
- Rebecca Caillier (2007)
- Chad Yucus (2006)
- Nicole Liebentritt (2005)
- Ana Recober (2004)
- Paul Genilo (2003)
- Jody Neer (2002)
Resident Publications (representing work done during residency)
- Pary LF, Rodnitzky RL. Traumatic internal carotid artery dissection associated with taekwondo. Neurology. 2003 Apr 22;60(8):1392-3.
- Carlson C, St Louis EK. Vacuum cleaner epilepsy. Neurology. 2004 Jul 13;63(1):190-1.
- Elahi A, Kelkar P, St Louis EK. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome as the initial manifestation of Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Neurocrit Care. 2004;1(4):465-8.
- Pary LF, Henszel A, Kelkar P. Vasculitic mononeuritis multiplex induced by valacyclovir. Neurology. 2004 May 25;62(10):1906-7.
- Karimi M, Razavi M, Fattal D. Rubral lateropulsion due to vertebral artery dissection in a patient with Klippel-Feil syndrome. Arch Neurol. 2004 Apr;61(4):583-5.
- Jensen MB, Adams HP. Pneumocephalus after air travel. Neurology. 2004 Jul 27;63(2):400-1.
- Howard JG, Lee AG, Garwood M, Link BK, Wooldridge JE, Kirby P. Optic neuropathy due to anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Semin Ophthalmol. 2004 Sep-Dec;19(3-4):81-7.
- Jensen MB, St Louis EK. Management of acute cerebellar stroke. Arch Neurol. 2005 Apr;62(4):537-44.
- Apostolova LG, White M, Moore SA, Davis PH. Deep white matter pathologic features in watershed regions: a novel pattern of central nervous system involvement in MELAS. Arch Neurol. 2005 Jul;62(7):1154-6.
- Apostolova LG, Johnson EK, Adams HP Jr. Disseminated Pseudallescheria boydii infection successfully treated with voriconazole. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005 Dec;76(12):1741-2.
- Recober A, Geweke LO. Menstrual migraine. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2005 Mar;5(2):93-8.
- Swenson AJ, St Louis EK. Computed tomography findings in thiamine deficiency-induced coma. Neurocrit Care. 2006;5(1):45-8.
- Swenson AJ, Leira EC. Paroxysmal sneezing at the onset of lateral medullary syndrome: cause or consequence? Eur J Neurol. 2007 Apr;14(4):461-3.
- Leira EC, Pary JK, Davis PH, Grimsman KJ, Adams HP Jr. Slow progressive acceptance of intravenous thrombolysis for patients with stroke by rural primary care physicians. Arch Neurol. 2007 Apr;64(4):518-21.
- Yucus CJ, Tranel D. Preserved proper naming following left anterior temporal lobectomy is associated with early age of seizure onset. Epilepsia. 2007 Dec;48(12):2241-52.
- Harlow TL, Rodnitzky RL, Gonzalez-Alegre P. From essential tremor to Klinefelter through Fragile X, an unexpected journey. Mov Disord. 2008 Jul 15;23(9):1328-9.
- Gurol ME, St Louis EK. Treatment of cerebellar masses. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2008 Mar;10(2):138-50.
- Grigoryan M, Geisler SD, St Louis EK, Baumbach GL, Davis PH. Cerebral arteriolar thromboembolism in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome. Arch Neurol. 2009 Apr;66(4):528-31.
- Harlow TL, Gonzalez-Alegre P. High prevalence of reported tremor in Klinefelter syndrome. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2009 Jun;15(5):393-5.
- Chahin S, Garwood MD, St Louis EK, Shivapour ET, Kelkar PM, Granner MA. Intramedullary Sjögren syndrome. Neurology. 2009 Dec 8;73(23):2041-2.
- St Louis EK, Faber K. Reversible sleep-related stridor during vagus nerve stimulation. Epileptic Disord. 2010 Mar;12(1):76-80.
- Im KB, Strader S, Dyken ME. Management of sleep disorders in stroke. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2010 Sep;12(5):379-95.
- Cook T, Joshi C. Gelastic seizures in tuberous sclerosis complex: case report and literature review. J Child Neurol. 2011 Jan;26(1):83-6.
- Strader S, Rodnitzky RL and Gonzalez-Alegre P. Secondary dystonia in a Botulinum Toxin Clinic: Clinical characteristics, neuroanatomical substrate and comparison with idiopathic dystonia Parkinsonism Relat Disord (2011);17(10):749-52.
- Laccheo I and Espinosa PS. Amazon rainforest International Issues: Neurology mission in the Ecuadorian. Neurology 2012;78;e60.
- Leira EC, Ludwig BR, Gurol ME, Torner JC, Adams HP Jr. The types of neurological deficits might not justify withholding treatment in patients with low total National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale scores. Stroke. 2012 Mar;43(3):782-6.
- Buchanan R, Bonthius DJ. Measles virus and associated central nervous system sequelae. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2012 Sep;19(3):107-14.
- Kunecka P, Swenson A, Moore S. A Case of Selenium-Deficient Myopathy. 35th Annual Carrell-Krusen Neuromuscular Symposium. Dallas, TX (February, 2013)
- Im K, Rogers T, Davis P, Burns T, Dyken ME. Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Patients with Stroke: A Comparison of Positional Elements Between Stroke Patients and Matched
Controls. Sleep, 36, Abstract Supplement: A172, 2013.
- Mahendrarajah S, Coleman JC, Zafar A, Im K. Factors Affecting Proportion of Supine Sleep in Patients Referred for Obstructive Sleep Apnea Evaluation: Focusing on Severity of Obstruction during Supine Sleep. 65th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology. San Diego, CA (March, 2013)
- Zafar A, Coleman JC, Mahendrarajah S, Im K. Proposal of a New Definition for Positional Obstructive Sleep Apnea. 65th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology. San Diego, CA (March, 2013)
* Selected for the AAN Sleep Disorders Highlight session.
- Farooqui M, Qader Quadri SA, Zafar A, Tahir MZ, , Javed G. Outcome and Patterns of Traumatic Brain Injury in Pediatric Population of a Third World Country Secondary to TV-Trolley Tip over. 65th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology. San Diego, CA (March, 2013)
- Ruff J Jr, Froehler M. Status of Endovascular Interventions to Treat Acute Ischemic Stroke. Current Treatment Options in Neurology, June 2013, 10.1007/s11940-013-0250-9.
- Marciniak CM, O’Shea SA, Lee J. Jesselson M, Dudas-Sheehan D, Beltran E, Gaebler-Spira DJ. Urinary Incontinence in Adults with Cerebral Palsy: Prevalence, Type, and Effects on Participation. PM&R (in press)
- Lamichhane D, Gonzalez-Alegre P, Narayanan N. Two cases of pregnancy in Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord (in press)