Our fundamental philosophy goals are to:
- Produce residents capable of functioning in austere medical environments with minimal back-up
- Provide flexibility in training to meet individualized learning needs
- Foster academic EM through scientific discovery, expertise in EM subspecialties, and peer-to-peer learning
We invite you to consider the advantages of the Iowa Physician Assistant Emergency Medicine Residency:
- Iowa is THE premiere Rural Emergency Medicine program in the country.
- We have a beautiful, state-of-the-art, 60,000 square feet Emergency Department.
- The University of Iowa Emergency Department is number one among academic centers for the shortest waiting times for patients and has strong customer service scores. We will teach you to provide rapid, efficient care to patients while maintaining kind and compassionate service.
- The University of Iowa is a 640-bed hospital and serves eastern Iowa as the only Level 1 trauma center and burn center in the state.
- Abundant clinical experience comes from our burgeoning patient census, and more than a fifth of our patients are pediatric.
- The Emergency Medicine residents get a longitudinal EMS experience starting with RAGBRAI medical coverage as interns, followed by event medicine coverage at Iowa Hawkeyes football games, basketball games and wrestling matches.
- The University of Iowa is one of the top research institutions in the nation providing unparalleled resources. Our Department has many ongoing clinical, basic science and translational research projects.
- The Iowa School of Wilderness Medicine: A comprehensive Wilderness Medicine course for medical students that is operated by and taught by Emergency Medicine physicians and physician assistant residents.
- Outstanding, nationally-recognized clinical faculty who originate from all over the country. Teachers who have recognized that The University of Iowa is a very special place and have come here to help create a world-class teaching institution.