By the Numbers
• 9 residents are accepted each year
• 27 total residents are ACGME approved for our training program
• The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Emergency Department (main training site) sees greater than 60,000 patients per year with a 24% percent admission rate with 4% admitted to an Intensive Care setting.
• St. Luke’s Medical Center Emergency Department (community training site) sees approximately 53,000 patients per year with a 20% admission rate with 2% admitted to an Intensive Care setting.
• All required Emergency Medicine and other required rotations are scheduled at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics or at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. St. Luke’s is an approximate 30 minute drive from the University of Iowa (25 miles).
• Elective rotations can be scheduled at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, or in a number of other locations including internationally.
• Competitive stipends
• Comprehensive medical, dental, hospitalization and pharmacy benefits for residents/fellows and their dependents
• 21 days of annual paid time off
Board Certification Requirements
• Visit the American Board of Emergency Medicine for specifics on board certification requirements.