- How many positions do you offer each year?
- We offer 13 PGY1 ("internship") positions each year. Our program is a combined internship and anesthesia residency for a total of 4 years.
- When are your interviews?
- Our first interview dates are in November, and we complete our interviews in mid-January.
- Could you please describe the interview process?
We usually interview 8-10 individuals on any given day. All applicants are asked to arrive in Iowa City the day before their interview. The Department pays for hotel accommodations in downtown Iowa City. A free shuttle is available to take applicants between the hotel and the Hospital. On the night before the interview, applicants are hosted at dinner by a group of our residents.
The interview date consists of:
- Welcome and introductory presentation by one of the chief residents
- Series of four personal interviews with three faculty (including the Department Chair, Dr. Todd; and the Program Director, Dr. Szeluga) and a chief resident
- Lunch and tour
- Farewell and thank-you
Half the candidates interview in the morning and the other half interview in the afternoon. All candidates (morning and afternoon) meet together for lunch with the residents and a tour of the department. Morning candidates should arrive in the department by 7:15 a.m. and are generally free to leave by 12:30 p.m. Afternoon candidates should arrive in the department by 10:15 a.m. and are generally free to leave by 3:30 p.m.
- How many total residents and fellows are in your program?
- In 2012-2013, we have a total of 65 trainees: 13 interns, 13 CA-1’s, 14 CA-2’s, 13 CA-3’s and 12 Fellows.
- How many applicants do you interview?
- Between 100-110, out of roughly 600 applications.
- Do you have any specific criteria for selecting candidates for interviews?
Typically, we interview only individuals with USMLE 3-digit scores of 220 or greater (however, we may offer interviews to individuals with lower scores if they have unique qualifications). Applicants from Osteopathic schools need to take both USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX.
Otherwise, we are looking for students with strong academic credentials, evidence of a strong interest in anesthesia, and a commitment to hard work and to being a superb physician.
"Personally, I'm looking for individuals who are interested in true excellence, who see themselves as future leaders in either the academic or private sector, and who are interested in learning everything possible about medicine and anesthesia, not 'just enough to pass the boards'" - Michael M. Todd, MD, Department Chair