The Fellow is in Clinic or in surgery with the faculty Monday through Friday.
Friday mornings are devoted to Resident lectures where the Fellow may participate and attend as desired in preparation for their oral boards.
The Cornea Fellow provides a one-hour conference on slit lamp cases once a month and participates in Cornea and Refractive Surgery Grand Rounds approximately six times a year.
Weekend and evening call involves covering the Cornea and External Disease call when faculty are out of town; this happens infrequently during the year with no more than 20 days required. The Fellow has an obligation to cover Comprehensive/General Ophthalmology call twice a year to allow time for the Residents to participate in the OKAP Examination or the Cataract Surgery Course.
The Fellow attends any meetings of the Midwest Academic Refractive Consortium (MARC), whether it is held in Iowa City or one of the other centers, such as Kansas City with Dr. Durrie’s office.
The daily schedule is as follows:
- Grand Rounds are from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday. Cornea Service Rounds, typically an academic session with the Fellow and the Residents, occurs once a week.
- Monday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., the Fellow is in the Cornea Clinic with Dr. Goins.
- Tuesday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., the Fellow is in the Cornea Clinic with Dr. Goins, assisting with minor room procedures and does refractive surgery on their own patients.
- Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., the Fellow is in the Cornea Clinic with Dr. Goins.
- Thursday, 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., the Fellow is in surgery with Dr. Goins.
- Friday, the Fellow is in Clinic or performing refractive surgery. One Friday a month, the Fellow is at the Iowa City VA for surgery cases and Clinic patients.
- Saturday and Sunday, the Fellow rounds with Dr. Goins on refractive patients and any inpatients.