Our fundamental philosophy goals are to:
- Provide flexibility in training to meet individualized learning needs
- Foster academic EM through scientific discovery, expertise in EM subspecialties, and peer-to-peer learning
- Produce residents capable of functioning in austere medical environments with minimal back-up
We invite you to consider the advantages of the Iowa Emergency Medicine Residency:
- Iowa is THE premiere Rural Emergency Medicine program in the country.
- We have a beautiful, state-of-the-art, 60,000 square feet Emergency Department that contains 45 beds.
- The University of Iowa Emergency Department is number one among academic centers for the shortest waiting times for patients and has strong customer service scores. We will teach you to provide rapid, efficient care to patients while maintaining kind and compassionate service.
- The University of Iowa is a 711-bed hospital and serves the region as the only Level 1 trauma center and burn center in Iowa.
- Abundant clinical experience comes from our burgeoning patient census, and more than a fifth of our patients are pediatric.
- The Emergency Medicine residents get a longitudinal EMS experience starting with RAGBRAI medical coverage as interns, followed by event medicine coverage at Iowa Hawkeyes football games, basketball games and wrestling matches culminating in a month-long EMS month during the third year.
- The University of Iowa is one of the top research institutions in the nation providing unparalleled resources. Our Department has many ongoing clinical, basic science and translational research projects.
- The opportunity to participate in a Sports Medicine fellowship at a Big 10 university. In coming years, fellowships in International Emergency Medicine and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) will be coming on-line.
- The Iowa School of Wilderness Medicine: A comprehensive Wilderness Medicine course for medical students that is operated by and taught by Emergency Medicine residents.
- Outstanding, nationally-recognized clinical faculty who have trained all over the country. Teachers who have recognized that The University of Iowa is a very special place and have come here to help create a world-class teaching institution.