Special Support and Social Opportunities
In addition to a dedicated residency coordinator the department also provides IT support staff, a librarian, a statistician and transcription staff.
We have an annual educational retreat in which the residents participate. Class level mentors organize class level get-togethers, and the program director hosts quarterly resident dinners.
There are many and varied social opportunities in Iowa City and this is some of what our residents do and enjoy:
- "As a family my husband and I like to go boating and fishing on Lake McBride. It's only 15 minutes from where we live, easily accessible, and beautiful. The fishing is hit or miss."
- "As a group my class has taken up Croquet games played out in my backyard. The rules are still being discovered, but that's part of the fun."
- "A resident Christmas party with staff coverage."
- "Amazing public libraries and parks. The apple orchard in the fall and spring. Adventureland is my kids favorite activity in the summer. Tons of bike and running trails. Great 5K and 10K for the runner in you. And of course, Big 10 paradise!"
- "One of my favorite places to go in Iowa City is Prairie Lights, the unofficial bookstore of the Iowa Writers' Workshop, which is gorgeously curated. They have great readings during the academic year and a little cafe with delicious treats. All the bike trails around town are pretty sweet, too."