The third year the resident has increased clinical responsibility. This year is mostly spent with leadership and surgical experiences in the Iowa City and Des Moines VAMCs and University Comprehensive Service. Residents also train in Oculoplastics, office management, and Cornea.
Residents have a ten-week rotation in the Des Moines VAMC that includes a clinic at the affiliated Broadlawns Hospital two afternoons a week.
A rotation in office management allows the resident to begin learning the ever-changing domain of billing, coding, and compliance with federal and state regulations. This rotation takes place in our departmental Billing Office to allow residents to learn the basic coding and billing principles needed for practice in today’s health care environment. This is a split rotation, with oculoplastic surgery covered every other Friday.
- Oculoplastics/Orbital Oncology Service
- Cornea / External Diseases and Refractive Surgery
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology and Cataract Surgery
- Veterans Affairs Medical Centers
- International Ophthalmology Experience Option