Information for Applicants
- Degree from accredited PA program (by the start of residency)
- Current NCCPA certification (by the start of residency)
- Iowa state licensure/eligible (by the start of residency)
- Official PA School Transcripts
- Three professional letters of recommendation (if employed, one from current supervisor; if in school, one from PA Program Director or program faculty). Send your reference writers the EM PA Letter of Rec Form for completion.
- Personal statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Application fee of $50 (made payable to UIHC, Dept. of Emergency Medicine)
Fee waived for University of Iowa PA students
- Personal interview
Please submit your application form, personal statement, CV, and application fee to:
Iowa Emergency Medicine-Physician Assistant Residency Program
Attn: Admissions Committee
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive, 1008 RCP
Iowa City, IA 52242
Official PA School transcripts and letters of recommendation forms should be sent directly from school/reference to the Admissions Committee.
Admission policies regarding resident eligibility and selection can be found in the Policies section under About the Program
Calendar of Events
- Completed applications and supporting documents must be received no later than February1st
- Interviews to be arranged in early March
- Notification of acceptance to be sent no later than March 31st
- Residency start date is the last week in June
- Graduation is the end of December
ACLS and PALS are required before working in the Emergency Department. PALS is scheduled into the July orientation month. It is highly recommended that current ACLS certification is obtained prior to start date.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Jon Van Heukelom, MD
PA Residency Program Director
Dave Walz, PA-C
PA Associate Residency Program Director
Kelly Norton, C-TAGME
PA Residency Coordinator