While providing expert emergency care for more than 60,000 patient visits each year, the Emergency Department staff also focuses on ensuring a personal and private experience for patients and their families.
- It is staffed by highly trained physicians, not only in emergency medicine, but also critical care, ultrasound, sports medicine, and pediatrics.
- It is staffed by experienced emergency nurses supported by paramedics, nursing assistants, social workers and clerical staff.
- The only Emergency Medicine residency in state of Iowa is based in the Emergency Department.
- The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital are a Level I Trauma Center for adult and pediatric patients respectively – the highest level of trauma center designation the American College of Surgeons offers. It is also verified as a Resource Trauma Care facility by the Iowa Department of Public Health.
- The clinical space encompasses 60,000 square feet and offers 46 private rooms including dedicated rooms for pediatric patients, major trauma and medical resuscitations, behavioral health emergencies and a special room for eye, ear and dental emergencies.
- Many specialties including Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, and Anesthesia are available to the emergency treatment staff for consultation and admission.
- It is home to the UI Chest Pain Center for prompt evaluation, treatment and counseling for patients with chest pain.
- It serves as a host facility and medical control base for the Johnson County Ambulance Service.