The Tuberculosis (TB) Chest Clinic staff members focus on the evaluation and management of TB and other chronic infections of the lung. In close cooperation with faculty from the Division of Infectious Diseases, clinic staff will evaluate TB referrals along with referrals of patients suffering from lung infections such as pneumonia, bronchiectasis and chronic fungal infections.
TB screening may be recommended for conditions that include:
- Person with conditions known to increase risk of TB, such as HIV infections, chronic poor nutrition, chronic renal failure, diabetes mellitus
- Household contacts of persons known or suspected to have TB
- Persons from countries with high TB incidence (Latin America, Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, Africa)
- Medically under-served, low income persons and high-risk ethnic minorities
- Residents of chronic care facilities and correctional institutions
- Health and child care workers