Gynecology deals with the health of the female reproductive system, including the uterus, vagina and ovaries. Our services focus on preventive care and regular screenings to keep you healthy. We take the time to talk with you about your health, your concerns and your goals.
Our well-woman health care providers provide the majority of your health care and refer you to appropriate specialists, if necessary. Well-woman care is provided by our OB/GYN and family medicine physicians as well as our certified nurse-midwives and nurse practitioners.
Even if you look and feel healthy, getting your annual well-woman exam is important to your health.
Well-woman care should be a regular part of your health care routine and for most women that means a once-a-year visit for a general health check. This visit could include a:
- Review of your medical history
- Breast exam
- Pap smear
- Discussion of the latest options for family planning
- Bone density test
- Health maintenance education
When should you see your well-woman care provider?
- If you are sexually active or over the age of 18
- If you plan to become pregnant soon
- If you have a history of female health problems
- If you have a mother or sister who developed breast, uterine or ovarian cancer
- If you detect a lump or other unusual change in your breast
- If you have symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection
Results of your well-woman care can sometimes lead to the need for more specific care. Test results, symptoms you're having and findings from your health history can indicate a problem that requires a closer look. Our women's specialists have the expertise to address these concerns and treat them if necessary.
These conditions can include:
- Colposcopy (follow-up for abnormal Pap tests)
- Vulvar/vaginal diseases
- Vulvar Vestibulitis
- PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome)
We offer selected women's health services at UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing. Located at the Coralville interchange on Interstate 80 (exit 242), UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing offers patients easy access, free parking, several amenities, and a state-of-the-art building for delivering outstanding patient care.
Our midwives provide gynecology services at UI Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa River Landing.