Exercise can greatly reduce your risk of many chronic diseases and improve your overall health. For many people, however, getting more physically active -- or sticking with it -- is difficult. How can you make regular exercise a part of your life?
This guide is designed to help people, step by step, put a successful exercise plan into place. The health benefits will begin almost immediately!I. Let's Get Started
- Step 1: Welcome
- Step 2: The benefits of exercise
- Step 3: Before you begin
- Step 4: How much exercise is enough?
- Step 5: Types of exercise
- Step 6: Why use weights?
- Step 7: Warm up, cool down, and stretch
- Step 8: Stay safe
- Step 9: Just getting out the door
- Step 10: Overcoming roadblocks
Last reviewed 6/28/2011 by Jeffrey Heit, MD, Internist with special emphasis on preventive health, fitness and nutrition, Philadelphia VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.