Planning for Baby's Arrival
Your due date is getting closer - and the excitement and anxiety you are feeling about bringing your new baby home is growing every day. To be prepared ahead of time, you should tour the birthing facility and take childbirth education classes. This will give you information about what to expect on the big day, what to bring, and what to have ready for your new baby.
Action Steps And Things To Consider
Many methods have been used over the years to predict whether the baby will be a girl or a boy. You may encounter some of these "old wives tales" over the course of your pregnancy. Even though they don't have a scientific basis, they can be fun to consider!
- Place your wedding band on a piece of string. Hold the string over your abdomen with the ring working like a pendulum. If it swings side to side it's a boy. If it swings in circles it's a girl.
- If you carry high, it's a girl. If you carry low, it's a boy.
- If the baby has a rapid heartbeat, it's a boy. If the heartbeat is slower, it's a girl.
- If you prefer to rest on your left side while resting, it's a boy. If you prefer lying on your right side, it's a girl.
Last reviewed 2/20/2007 by Douglas A. Levine, MD, Gynecology Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.