Proper hand washing
Steps for proper handwashing include:
- Take off any jewelry
- Hold your hands pointing down under warm water for 15 to 30 seconds. Clean under your nails also
- Rinse well
- Dry with a clean towel
Proper handwashing is the best way to avoid spreading germs to help prevent infection.
Last reviewed 6/27/2010 by Debra G. Wechter, MD, FACS, General Surgery practice specializing in breast cancer, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.