Pursed lip breathing
How to do pursed lip breathing:
1. Breath in (inhale) slowly through your nose for 2 counts.
2. Feel your belly get larger as you breathe in.
3. Pucker your lips, as if you were going to whistle or blow out a candle.
4. Breathe out (exhale) slowly through your lips for 4 or more counts.
Exhale normally. Do not force air out. Do not hold your breath when you are doing pursed lip breathing. Repeat these steps until your breathing slows.
Last reviewed 2/14/2009 by David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.