Metabolism refers to all the physical and chemical processes in the body that convert or use energy, such as:
- Circulating blood
- Controlling body temperature
- Contracting muscles
- Digesting food and nutrients
- Eliminating waste through urine and feces
- Functioning of the brain and nerves
Elsas LJ II. Approach to inborn errors of metabolism. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 212.
Last reviewed 9/3/2012 by David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.