Cancer treatment information
Cancer warning signs
The goals of cancer treatment are to:
- Cure the cancer by killing or removing all cancer cells
- Prevent or delay the cancer from coming back
- Treat cancer symptoms (if the cancer cannot be cured)
The types of treatment depend on the type of cancer, but may include:
You may receive more than one type of treatment. This is called combined therapy.
Cancer warning signs include:
- A change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that does not heal
- Unusual bleeding or drainage
- Thickening or lump in the breast or elsewhere
- Indigestion or swallowing difficulty
- A change in a wart or mole
- Persistent cough or hoarseness
It is important to note that these symptoms may also be due to conditions other than cancer.
The following articles offer more detailed information:
- Breast cancer
- Brain cancer - adults
- Brain cancer - children
- Cancer - general overview
- Cervical cancer
- Colon cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Oral cancer (includes mouth cancer)
- Ovarian cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Penis cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Uterine cancer (endometrial cancer)
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
For information on cancer-related organizations, see Cancer - support groups.
Perry MC. Principles of cancer therapy. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2007:chap 192.
Last reviewed 11/14/2010 by David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.