Ill-fitting dentures can move and cause sore spots. Denture adhesive may help cut down on this movement. Dental implants may be recommended in some cases. They should only be placed by a oral surgeon or periodontist.
You should always see a dentist if your dentures do not fit correctly.
Other denture tips:
- Scrub dentures with plain soap and lukewarm water after eating.
- Dentures should be taken out overnight to prevent sores, infections, and inflammation.
- Dentures can be left overnight in a denture cleaner.
- Clean, rest, and massage the gums regularly. Rinsing daily with lukewarm salt water will help clean your gums.
- Do not use toothpicks when wearing dentures.
For gum problems see: Gingivitis
Last reviewed 2/22/2012 by Paul Fotek, DMD, Florida Institute for Periodontics & Dental lmplants, West Palm Beach, FL. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.