An incision may be closed with:
1. Sutures (stitches) on the outside of the body
2. Surgical staples, which provide added strength to the incision
3. Sutures on the inside, underneath the skin.
Small sticky strips (called Steri-strips) may be placed on your skin across the incision line. These strips will fall off when the incision has healed.
Last reviewed 2/26/2009 by Linda Vorvick, MD, Family Physician, Seattle Site Coordinator, Lecturer, Pathophysiology, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.