Exercise - dress appropriately
Dressing appropriately is important when exercising in cold weather. Here are some tips to consider:
- Wear several layers, including gloves and a hat. Remove layers when you warm up, and replace them during the slower portions of your workout.
- If it is snowing or icy, be extra careful to not fall.
- Remember, you can still become dehydrated in cold weather, you still need plenty of fluid before, during, and after exercise.
Last reviewed 1/14/2010 by Jacob L. Heller, MD, MHA, Emergency Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.